Brierley Associates is seeking qualified candidates to join our team as entry-level staff engineer or geologist in our Cottage Grove, MN office.
Candidates must possess a BS degree (MS preferred) in geology or geotechnical, geological, or civil engineering from an accredited university. Candidates must be highly motivated and have excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. The ability to multi-task, work under strict deadlines, and collaborate is essential.
This is an entry-level position with 0-2 years of experience required.
Responsibilities include technical/engineering support of tunneling, trenchless, and complex geo-structural projects where understanding structural interactions with the surrounding ground will prove critical to a project’s success. This includes the construction of tunnels and trenchless structures via tunnel boring machines (TBM), horizontal direction drilling (HDD), drill and blast, sequential excavation (SEM), pilot tube auger boring, and more, as well as the design of adjacent elements such as shaft construction, ground improvement, support of excavation (SOE) elements, and more. Candidates may also be involved in the assessment/inspection of existing underground structures and designing rehabilitation options. This will include performing tasks such as:
- Preparing design computations, calculations, and quantity estimates
- Layout and detailing of engineering drawings
- Report writing
- Conducting and overseeing on-site geotechnical exploration and investigation programs (including the logging of soil and rock samples)
- Construction site visits to monitor progress and other elements of contract documents.
- Assist in client communications
- Assist in the preparation or modification of reports, specifications, and plans
- Problem-solving with other engineers and contractors
- Providing technical assistance to other Brierley offices.
Experience with some or all of the following software is preferred but not required:
- AutoCAD – Civil3D
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Occasional travel to project sites should be expected. A valid driver’s license and a reliable means of transportation are required.
Brierley Associates employs some brightest minds to “create space underground.” Our staff provides innovative solutions to some of the most complex challenges in tunnel, shaft, and trenchless design, geo-structural engineering, and construction design. Many of our team members are recognized as leading experts in their fields.
In addition to a challenging and supportive work environment, Brierley Associates offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
- Life insurance
- Long/short-term disability plans
- Tuition assistance program
Because knowledge is vitally important to our ability to deliver quality services, we encourage continuing education, participation in professional and technical organizations, presentation of technical papers, and providing mentorship to others in underground construction.
Please include a current resume and note availability.
No phone calls, please.